Written by SoudipOctober 18th 2014
You Are HereHome > America > Independence Hall Historical Facts and Pictures
Statue of Liberty Historical Facts and Pictures
Located at the centre of New York Harbor in Manhattan, the colossal Statue of Liberty commemorates the lasting alliance between United States and France. It was a joint effort by both nations, where the Americans built the pedestal on which French sculptor Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi erected this enormous statue. Entitled as the “Statue of Liberty Enlightening the World”, this 93-metered high structure (including the pedestal) was included in the list of UNESCO World Heritage Sites in 1984.
Construction of Statue of Liberty
Towards the end of American Civil War, around 1865, French historian Edouard de Laboulaye proposed to gift United States a statue to honor the Union victory and the end of slavery. The construction work, however, did not start until 1875 due to political unrest in France. Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi completed building the head and the right arm that bears a torch even before the statue was fully designed. The torch-bearing arm was exhibited for publicity in 1876 at the Centennial Exposition in Philadelphia and at Madison Square Park in New York from 1876 – 1882.
Statue of Liberty at Night
Statue of Liberty Torch
Inside Structure and Design
Embodying the Roman goddess of freedom, Libertas, the statue represents a huge structure of a robed female carrying a torch in her right hand and a tablet in the other hand. The date of American Independence, July 4, 1776, is engraved on the tablet in her left hand. Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel, along with Eugène-Emmanuel Viollet-le-Duc, designed the steel framework of the statue, upon which Batholdi used the technique of repousse to form the skin of the structure. The statue was completed in 1885 and was finally displayed in front of thousands of spectators on October 28, 1886.
The Federal Government designated this epic sculpture as a national monument in 1924. Later in 1933, it was handed over to the National Park Service. By the early twentieth century, the statue displayed a distinctive green color (known as verdigris), due to the exposure of its skin through rain, sun and wind. In 1984, the statue underwent a massive reconstruction and was closed to the public before being reopened in 1986. After the attacks on September 11, 2001, it was again closed from 2001 to 2004 as a safety precaution.